Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 Favorite Songs

The rule for this year – No two songs from the same album, because this was an album year.  The best albums were full of perfection.  For me, it is always about the mix of lyric and musicality.  So of course, these songs are great all-around.  Instead of describing my every feeling about each, I decided to leave just a memorable lyric with each until we get to the top 2.  

Honorable Mention

Mark Lanegan – Night Flight To Kabul (Old fashion darkwave but the singing and looks…ouch)

LCD Soundsystem - Seconds (cover of The Human League - about JFK’s murder but also makes think of John Lennon)

Todrick Hall - Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels – (duh)

The National - Light Years (I love this music but maybe this year wasn’t an emotional depth moment)
_____________________________________________________________________________

My 12 favorite songs of the year

12. Wedding Bell Blues, Morrissey and Billie Joe Armstrong – Oh Bill, I love you so.  I always will.

11. Hospitalized, Broods – This bass is nutritious, tasty and delicious, exceptionally vicious

10. Really Don’t Like U, Tove Lo with Kylie Minogue - Really, I just don't like you…Look prettier than I do tonight

9. Hand Solo, Marika Hackman - When I go blind, will you keep in mind, I had fun, I got it on, endorphins…I gave it all, but under patriarchal law, I'm gonna die a virgin

8. Lark, Angel Olsen - If only we could start again, pretending we don’t know each other

7. Harmony Hall, Vampire Weekend – Anger wants a voice, voices want to sing, singers harmonize ‘til they can’t hear anything

6. Fine Mess, Interpol - I’d like to tour the 80’s but I got sideswiped and came right to ‘78

5. The Greatest, Lana Del Rey – The culture is lit, and if this is it, I had a ball.   I guess I was burned out after-all.

4. Juice, Lizzo – I be drippin' so much sauce got a been lookin' like RAGÚ

3. Cellophane, FKA Twigs – I don't want to have to share our love.  I try, but I get overwhelmed…When you're gone, I have no one to tell
 _______________________________________________________________________

2. Give Stupidity A Chance, Pet Shop Boys – Intelligent people have had their say, it's time for the foolish to show the way (etc., etc., etc., etc. – I suggest reading the lyrics word for word)
________________________________________________________________________

1. Dawn Chorus, Thom Yorke - If you could do it all again

(So powerful, no lyrics are even necessary)

1 comment: